Sunday, January 18, 2009

Obama's inauguraiton: Life in the security zone



Washington, D.C. -- I knew I was in for an interesting weekend when my girlfriend's building manager said our names would be submitted to Secret Service. For the next few days, i'm living life in the security zone. I'm staying in Penn Quarter, a block north of Pennsylvania Ave., and while it's a central point for inauguration festivities, we're also in an area that's going to be locked down. They are closing many of the side streets near our neighbourhood. No parking starting on Monday. They'll close nearby stations.

We've gotten plenty of notices on whether we need to carry IDs with utility bills to prove we're in this area. And on inauguration day, we'll be banned from going out side while they do the final security sweep from 3 a.m. to 7 a.m. Roof access is not allowed and, my favourite edict from our building manger: "please do not slam your unit door."

One possible bright point: On inauguration day, I could very well have a head start on the crowd.

*Posts at his personal blog/twitter are views of Kenny Yum, not that of the National Post.

No comments: