Sunday, April 12, 2009

And now, back to training

I was just looking over my training logs for the mileage I've lost to my cold/flu in the past month. It was pretty bad, one of the longer bouts of sickness I've had in the middle of marathon training

March 2 - March 8: 43 miles
March 9 - March 15: 20 miles (first cold, took four days off, then probably came back too soon, raced 5K)
March 16 - March 22: 15 miles (second cold, ran two days)
March 23 - March 29: 32 miles (felt blah for most of the week but able to run 30K race while still weak)
March 30 to April 5: 50 miles (cold just about gone, did two races on one day, then a 20 miler the day after)
April 5 to April 12: 46 miles (some muscle soreness early in the week but by last three days, feeling close to normal)

So now I have one more week of hard training before the taper. I've lost out on a month of quality work but at least my mileage is back to normal. The four races in a month in the end will have to do for pacer and tempo work. That will do.

Next week, a few challenging runs plus a 20 miler on the weekend. I'll be in DC so I may do the 20 miler on Saturday so I can enjoy the rest of the weekend with R. Then, the taper arrives.

3 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

safe travels to DC! Still some great mileage while being sick... but better then than for your marathon! Knock on wood :D

Marlene said...

Hard to believe a stinkin' cold could throw such a wrench into your training. You still ran some serious mileage. Good luck with this last week pre-taper!

yumke said...

Hey, thanks guys. The week is going well, so I'm hoping i'm finally back in shape...