Monday, November 05, 2007

Imperially minded

It finally happened. I'm now thinking in miles. I plan my runs in miles, I mark the mile points in my runs, I check my mile splits. Today, it was a 5 mile run, not an 8.04 kilometre run (although I have the conversions seared in my brain).

A summer of following the Pfitzinger marathon program has now has me pushing the metric system to the side. Actually, the real story is that I still do think in kilometres, but translate it all to miles. Kinda like when I speak Cantonese to my folks. It's English first (in the head) then Cantonese rolls out (inelegantly at times) off the tongue.

One benefit? I now consider 5 miles my minimum distance. There was a time when a 5K run (3.1 miles) was considered my short run...

1 comment:

Sonia said...

We finally converted you! Hurrah! ;-)