Sunday, September 07, 2008

Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon: 3 weeks to go

Finished up tonight with a 4 mile recovery run in the dark. Was working much of the day.

Here's the week just past
Monday: 14 miles
Tuesday: 9.5 miles
Wednesday: 8 miles
Thursday: 10.8 miles (5x1200)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 23 miles
Sunday: 4 miles

Weekly mileage: 69 miles (111K)
Year to date: 1768 (2845K) Crazy? Yes.

As I said yesterday, I'm really looking forward to the taper. On the other hand, my body can take a the mileage, I mean, I do on average of 10 miles a day and now it just clicks. I feel faster, I feel my running has smoothed out. I have better rhythym on the roads. My heart rate is lower than usual and my breathing gets laboured only on hard runs. The V02 runs have so far been encouraging.

So I guess you can say, in a sense of how I've prepped my body, that in the next three weeks, I'm going to reach the best shape I've ever been in. I'm in great shape now, but tired. Taper's supposed to let your muscles rebuild and give you extra energy. Funny thing is, I know I can get in better shape. I could do more core work. I could lift more weights. I can stretch more. I can eat better and trim up a tad. Okay, I'm not going to complain, I mean, as far as citizen marathoners go, 9 to 10 hours a week on the road is quite a lot.

Here's what the week coming up looks like. I'm going down to a whopping low-to-mid 50 mileage.

Monday: 5 miles
Tuesday: 7 miles with 8x100
Wednesday: 12 miles (only!?!?)
Thursday: 6 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 5K race in DC!
Sunday: 17 miles

Gonna be an interesting week. Flying out to DC for a conference on Thursday night so I'll have to fit in 6 miles before work.

No comments: