Thursday, June 08, 2006

Pre-training training (mileage and kilometreage?)

I can't remember when I stopped maintenance running and started 'training'. I suppose that shortly before my first race of the year, May 7, I was doing longer miles and more quality ones. So while the marathon training begins in 10 days, I've been in a semi-training mode anyways for the last two months or so.

This morning, I decided to make up a bit more for the two days I lost this week, and go out for a long weekday morning run. Since I'm usually at work by 8 a.m. (okay, I live a 5 minute walk away), I usually only have enough time for a 10K. Was out the door about 20 minutes earlier than usual and set out to do 16K. Did the first 10, took a washroom and hydration break, and did another 6. Loved it, but I was sooo tired. Will have to work on getting the proper foods in me during the work week.

By the way, 16K is 10 miles. I've been avoiding switching my counting to miles from kilometres, but my training program is in miles and I am running a race in the United States. So, from now on, I'm going to stick with the Ks, but provide myself with the miles in translation..

Also, found a nice group training blog, A Running Destination, that has a cool roll of other Chicago marathon bloggers. Will be cool to see how everyone else is training for the race.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there!!

I haven't leave a comment in a while but I still read your blog! You're awesome, I can't believe how much you run in a week!

I've decided to do the Point Pelee half marathon in September so I'm training really hard for that, I've done 14k at my last long steady run! I wanted to ask you: do you run every day? Do you have a book on running half and marathons to recommend me?

Thanks!! Nice shoes! Keep on running!! =)

yumke said...

Hi, good to hear from you and good on you for signing up for the half..

I run about 6 days a week, most of them are around the 10k variety with a long run in the weekends. My marathon training program, actually, is 5 days a week with a day of cross training.

There are a few good books out there. One that helped me when I first started running was The Runner's handbook by Bob Glover. He also wrote one for competitive runners (which i know for sure has various training programs for halfs)

Hal Higdon has three training programs for the half here.

I've never done formal training fo halfs, but the only thing is to make sure you throw enough long runs of between 15k and 20k..

Good luck and keep me updated on how you're done.