Wednesday, February 21, 2007

How many hours...

With the new job and commute, I've figured I have to make real tweaks to my running schedule so I can get them in. I now have about four hours of free time after work before I have to go to bed. Which means i'm going to have to be smart if i'm going to be able to match last year's marathon training schedule. My game plan will have to take the following tweaks:
  • Run at work once a week -- in March, I'm going to aim for a 8K run midweek in lieu of the non-existent lunch break. When it's spring/summer, i'm just going to run home once in a while, which is about 17K.
  • Run before work once a week, for now -- this means I'll have to be on the road by 5 a.m. to get a 10K run or so. In the late spring, summer, this will be a breeze
  • Starting doing real weekend long runs -- I've been doing wimpy 10Ks and 15Ks. I should build to 20K and beyond to rack up the mileage and build for the long run training.
  • Don't be afraid of late night runs -- i usually try to run before dinner, but tonight, i had a quick dinner at 7, then went for a 10K at 8 p.m. It worked out quite well. Must do that more.
Hopefully that'll get my running started and back toward a better weekly mileage. I ran a 10K today, and I hope to bring my weekly mileage to 25K before the weekend arrives. Which will let me do one long run in DC.

Or one can only hope I can achieve this.

4 comments:

Sonia said...

Good to see you back! Great planning, you'll increase your mileage in no time! Running back from work is interesting, I guess you can't carry that much with you! Only your wallet and keys! Let us know how you do it!

Arcane said...

Good to see your back. Yeah work really does get in the way of training doesn't it? Good luck with the training.

Ryan said...

This is a great post. This is what is all about. Planning and setting goals. Glad to see you make your adjustment plans. You'll do it. I can sense your itch to start cranking back up.

yumke said...

Thanks guys.. the blogs keeps me honest sometimes.. it will be a tough month, but i'm determined to get back into serious running....