Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Morning runs and evening races

So it's 9:15 p.m. and ready for bed. Why? Because I decided to set my alarm for 4:45 a.m. this morning and was up after 5 and starting a 11 miler by 5:30. I'm telling you, getting out of bed is the hardest part for these morning runs. But I ended up going out and feeling great by the end that I managed a sub 8 minute pace for the duration.

No morning run tomorrow cause I'm doing my first race in about a month -- a 5 miler, the Nightcrawler. It's tomorrow at 7:15 p.m. and is one of my favourite races. I set a PR at the distance, a sub 33 minute run, last year. This year, I'm in pretty good shape but will target a tempo pace so a 34 minute or so. We'll see.

11 miles in 1:30

6 comments:

Marky Mark said...

4:45am for a training run is HARD! Good for you. Hope the weather cooperates for you tomorrow night.

Heather C said...

Once you're out of bed, you've gotten over the hardest part. I leave it as a "no option" thing when I decide on morning runs. Then I start actually running and usually feel great :) 11 miles at 5 in the morning?! Now thats impressive.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i could get a lot more swimming in if i could just get out of bed in the morning. Good luck on the 5 miler tonight!

Vava said...

Nice going! Getting up and I have a difficult relationship and so I rarely do morning runs during the week. That's an impressive distance to complete before the work day starts.

To answer your question from your comment on my blog I try and keep my heart rate under 140bpm on recovery runs. It's more of a way to keep me from going too fast and defeating the purpose of the recovery part of the run than anything else.

Hope the race goes well for you as well!

Marlene said...

Getting out of bed is definitely the hardest part.

Have fun at the Nightcrawler tonight!

macnic said...

Good for you on getting up. I must be up at 5:30 to start my work day so I know I'll never be able to run in the AM on a weekday (uh, no 4am wake up calls for this gal, TYVM). That race sounds great! I hope that the weather is okay for you or I hope that you enjoy running in the rain!