Saturday, August 25, 2007

Shoe ripoff?


Here are my shoes I bought today that I may use for marathon day, a pair of Asics GT-2120. I really love my 2110s, but they don't make them any more. But I have a pair of 2120s and I'm pretty happy with them.

I can't believe what a ripoff we Canadians face in terms of prices. Get this. Our dollar is now so close to par with the US dollar that it's a huge disadvantage to buy shoes in Canada. Take this example. I bought this GT-2120 at Champ Sports for $95, with about $5 (wow, that's low) in tax, it was US$100 or about $105 Canadian.

Now, I can go to the Running Room or Sport Chek and buy the same pair for a whopping $149. Add the 15% tax and I'm talking $171 for a pair of shoes. In other words, I saved $66 by shopping in DC. Anyways, I've bought 3 of my last 5 pairs of shoes in the States and I'm not planning to change that any time soon.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

God Bless America!

Arcane said...

Yeah buying shoes in the US is the way to go. I've been looking at buying mail order through the US, but Canada Post can still charge the taxes though it's still a little bit cheaper.

yumke said...

Amazing the prices.. now if only DVDs would be cheaper in the States to make it wroth my while to drop some bucks..

Almost worth a cross-border trip, Fran?

Selva said...

wow very nice blog. After seeing this shoes i through my Joseph seibel product.....