Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Will I make it there in 2009 or 2010? A New York decision

I applied this year for the second year in a row for the New York City Marathon. I thought it was fairly certain that I wouldn't get a spot in the lottery, thinking that the international entrants were severely limited. So confident was I in this assumption that I thought I'd also strike out next year. The marathon has a rule that if you get rejected three years in a row, you're in the fourth time. So 2011 it is...

Wrong. Fran told me to check this morning and -- I got in on my second try.

Now, the problem: I've signed up for the Toronto Marathon on October 18, which is a must-do because it will be my BQ attempt. I'm running the Marine Corps Marathon a week later as a fun run. And so with New York Marathon a week later, I don't think it'd be a good idea to do all three.

I thought about it, and decide that I want to do New York slower than usual, but I'd like to be fresh to enjoy it. So should I defer till 2010? Luckily, they allow you to do that if you get in, though you have to pay the signup fee twice.

May 19, 2009
New York Road Runners
ING New York City Marathon

Countdown to the start November 1, 2009:
165 Days
Dear Kenny Yum,
Entry Number:
Congratulations! You have been accepted to run the ING New York City Marathon 2009 on Sunday, November 1. On behalf of New York Road Runners, I welcome you to the 40th running of the world's greatest marathon. One of the things that makes this race so special is runners like you from around the world, and we're hard at work preparing to give you the experience of a lifetime.


Marky Mark said...

Great to have options! Can you assign it someone else this year and still defer to next year?

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Hmm, tough decision, but 3 marathons would be tough! Good luck with your decision.. figures you'd get in when you didn't want to eh?

Arcane said...

tough decision. 3's a bit much, but you can probably do it if you run it very conservatively with lots of walking. though expensive, deferral is always an option.

yumke said...

Hey Mark, nope, no transfers allowed. I guess they have so many runners that they can afford a few (thousand? hundred?) deferring.

Melanie, yeah, three would be tough and it'd make for a very tiring month... And Fran, if I do 2010, at least I 'll know what my training will be like next summer :)

Amy Reinink said...

"I'm running the Marine Corps Marathon a week later as a fun run." SO hard-core! Personally, I'd defer. You want to feel fresh for NYC to make it as much fun as possible. Spreading yourself too thin will only diminish your enjoyment of what's supposed to be a really enjoyable race. That said, only you know what constitutes spreading yourself too thin ... good luck deciding!

Marlene said...

No WAY! That's so exciting, even if it doesn't jive with your plan for this year.

Do you have to pay the entire registration fee twice, or is it just an application fee?

I'd defer to next year - you want to enjoy it.

Congrats, btw!

Heather C said...

Welllll, I have no idea what it'd be like to run 3 marathons in a row - since I haven't conquered ONE yet. I'd assume it's probably better to stick with 2 and defer it.....but hey, if you're up for it, it's definitely not Impossible! You might not set 3 PRs, but that doesn't meant you won't have three kick ass races. :) Sorry, I'm not a lot of help. Just in awe that somebody would attempt 3 marathons in a row.

chris mcpeake said...

Great problem to have.
If it was me I would defer then if you get your BQ you will be able to do NYC and boston in the same year. That said if it actually was me I might con myself into doing all 3. I guess you have to think about whether you will get to enjoy NYC with your legs that tired or not..

Anonymous said...

congrats on getting in, but I'm curious, the website says the lottery is in June. Did you qualify some other way?

yumke said...

Think I'm 95% going to defer till 2010. And 'anonymous', I'm an international entrant, so they have the draw for us in May and the draw for U.S. citizens/residents in June after the June 1 deadline.

RunShorts said...

I find myself in an eerily similar situation. I figured I would get into NY after my three strikes (in 2011, like you), but got in this year and, again like you, I'm confirmed for two other marathons in the two weeks before NY. It will be too much time and money to do all three, so one must go. Decisions, decisions.

Anonymous said...