Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Speeding things up

I started today's run at a pretty normal pace, just over 8 minutes for the first mile. Then I caught up to this runner who, while I was behind her, magically upped her pace to mine, which was pretty much dead one marathon pace. So I kept it up for the next two miles, clocking a 7:16 and 7:12. I know it's a little early for pace work but it was good to give my legs and my cardio something close to a nice workout. I finished the rest of the run with sub 8 minute miles. Pretty amazing that I'm asking my body on marathon day to pull off 26.2 of these 7:15 miles when even a few today felt a little challenging.

Yes, it feels a little hard to do even this type of pace work 9 days out from the marathon. I'm going to avoid pacework over the rest of the runs this week and instead work my way back to it. They say you need a day for each mile raced to get back to normal. And since I have 28 days between marathon, that's just enough time, right?

3 comments:

Arcane said...

absolutely, 28 days is more than enough.

Marlene said...

The math seems to work out to me!

Ryan said...

Have been a bit checked out - but saw your Toronto result. Hang in there... don't give up.

I think it's great you're going for DC. You can definitely recover and have a strong race.