Wednesday, January 09, 2008

When two becomes four, you know you're almost (not quite) in training

I keep on reminding myself that although I'm going to do a 12-week training program for the Flying Pig Marathon, I still should consider the next five weeks as base training plus some foundation for future long runs and tempo/lactic threshold. Which means I should be getting in runs of all kinds to get at least 30 to 35 miles a week.

And which also brought me to today. I got home late from work and it was dark and cold... really didn't feel like a run, but something was telling me that every mile counts toward building a base. So I convinced my stupid head that I'd go for a minimum of one mile out and back for two miles. Stupid because I've actually only done a two mile run once as I consider 4K to be the minimum distance to be worth changing into my running gear.

After commiting then to get out, I quickly reset my goals. Before I knew it, I was in the middle of a four-mile run (total of 34:52 with splits of 8:51, 8:19, 8:29, 8:07 and a stray 1:04 extra). Much better.

So that brings me to 20 miles so far for the week. I'm off to Miami tomorrow after work so I plan to run again on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We plan to do at least six miles each day.

2 comments:

Marky Mark said...

If you're in Hollywood at all (south of Ft. Lauderdale) let me know as there is a broadwalk (not a typo) that has a nice 6 mile run to the Dania Beach pier and back, followed by bacon at a Quebecois restaurant at the end!

Have fun in any event!

yumke said...

Don't think we'll head there but I will get lots of runs and good eating!