Monday, July 10, 2006

Recovery daze

It rained like crazy today. Probably a good 3 hours of hard, pounding rain. Then the clouds thinned, the sky brightened, and I went for a recovery run. I like the idea of slotting in a run, not a rest day, the day after my long run. It keeps me sharp, I think. Did 5.9K (3.7 miles) on the water, and did the last 2kms at a 5K race pace.

I recently signed R. and I up for an evening 5K race on Friday. I haven't raced the distance in .. actually, I don't think i've actually done it... odd huh? So I went digging in my past recent race performances to see how I can do in that distance, based on my handy Garmin Forerunner. In my last 8K race, I did the first 5K in 21:14. In the last half-marathon race, I did it in 21:48. And in my last 10K race, I finished 5K in 20:21 (the course had nice downhill sections in the first half). So, I know that I have potential for a 21 minute 5K and maybe faster. But then again, I have the balance that whole marathon training thing and not going out too hard on one hand, and on the other, it's a damned race, I paid to do it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say give it all you've got at the Race! ;-) I'm sure you'll do awesome!

yumke said...

Thanks! I think I will.. It'll be my substitute speedwork day, me thinks.